Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Political Jesus


And he led him up, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, To thee will I give all this authority, and the glory of them: for it hath been delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship before me, it shall all be thine. And Jesus answered and said unto him, It is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (Luke 4:5-8)


Is your Jesus political?

Does your Jesus care more about which political party is in office than the legislation that passes?

Is your Jesus a Republican?

Democrat?

Or maybe he’s an Independent?

Libertarian?

Green Party?

Is your Jesus going to cure the world from social injustices, terrorism, poverty, and all the other awful things in this world . . . solely through political agendas?

I turned on the news this morning, just like I do every morning, and all the news networks display is this political party pushing this agenda and then this other political party pushing back. What scares me is not that our country may be going in the wrong direction, or staying in the wrong errors of past injustices. What concerns me is how passionate people are getting over political topic, and forgetting about each other.

Did you see the other day where one man in political office called everyone in the opposing party A-holes? Or how about the story where two people started arguing at a health care demonstration and then one man bit off the other man's finger? How about the countless stories of town hall meetings getting out of hand and the public disrespecting the officials and vice versa? Is this Jesus’ kingdom on Earth coming to power?

This weekend I went to a Tea Party and I was able to see people voice their concerns about the direction our country is going in. I think this is a positive thing for both political parties to do, however this is not a solution. I wholeheartedly believe this, because my political Jesus turned down public office. He knew and knows what political agendas are capable of, and realizes how insufficient they truly are to change the world in a remarkable way. My very political Jesus must have also realized how easy it is to lose the focus of one another, of the human element when we push political agendas.

The Christian message is simple, and always has been, and always will be. The message is so simple that many people are able to deliver this message without ever reading the Bible, or saying the right prayers, or going to the right church. The Gospel is one that delivers and receives Love. God is God loving God loving God loving humanity (The Trinity). True humanity is humans loving God and other humans. Politics can’t make us love, but our Love can make our politics.

In the Love of the Love loving Love loving you, (a.k.a Jesus),

No comments:

Post a Comment